A New Role - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

A New Role

I am writing this blog post as I listen to Emmie and her friends make chocolate chip pancakes! I am also rounding out my first full week "staying at home." If you follow my accounts on FB or Instagram, then you know that I resigned from my teaching position at the end of last year.

I have debated writing this post for lots of reasons. One- I know there are many of you who would love to be at home with your littles.  I am SO aware of that.  I don't ever want to come across as being insensitive to that.  Two-  I don't want anyone to think I have lost my LOVE for teaching.  Three- I kind of feel in limbo right now. 

I have written on this blog for 6 years being 100% honest about what is going on in my life and I want to continue to do so.  {No oversharing I promise :) }  I would just hate to give the impression that I am balancing a full time job, being a mom to three, AND TPT'ing when I am not.

So I wanted to give you a little insight into what life is like for me right now....

1.  First and foremost- mom to Nash, Emmie, and Smith.


(The first day of school)


Those teacher kids are the best aren't they??  Able to entertain themselves and hang while mommy gets her work done! 

Like many of you, I will be running mine all over Creation after school to their activities.  Emmie is very into music and dance.  Nash LOVES his football!



Smith and I are enjoying a little slower pace.  The big kids' school (my former school) is very close to the beach so twice this week, we dropped the kids at school and headed straight out to the beach. Literally toes in the sand by 7:30 a.m.



2. PTA Mom/Room Mom

I love, love, love doing bulletin boards and other displays in the classroom and around school.  Three different grade levels let me scratch my creative side by helping with their boards. 




I am also doing things for the teachers that I haven't necessarily had the time for before.  Yesterday I picked up dinner for both my kids' teachers and made dessert.  I texted a few other moms and we all chipped in toward the meals!  I'm thinking after a FULL week their first week back that the teachers weren't really planning on making dinner :)


3. Actually cooking for my family (and with Emmie- my chef in training)

I have really relied on my husband to handle dinner a lot over the years.  Lately I have had the desire to find and make meals for my family!

The pizza sliders definitely aren't healthy, but many of my new recipes revolve around making healthier versions of our favorites- like this chicken salad which was delicious!  We also love zucchini boats, zucchini lasagna, and black bean burgers. 

4.  TPT.  I won't be abandoning this blog or my creating.  I will have some work time when Smith goes to socialize with other kids or during his nap time.  I have a HUGE list of projects that I am going to get started on very soon.  

I have this freebie in the works and I will be uploading it today or tomorrow- I will let y'all know!

Being a mom is the hardest and most amazing thing I have ever done.  We all question our decisions, but for my family- I know I am in the right place.  I wasn't able to give all the people in my life EVERYTHING they needed at the same time. I was headed in too many directions. Will I go back?  Most definitely.  Teaching is a part of my soul. In this season of life I just needed more flexibility than the classroom allows. Thank you so much for reading this post and your support in my new journey <3 


your photo name

10 comments

  1. What a wonderful post! I'm so happy that you made the decision to follow your heart. I never once thought that you stepped out of the classroom to follow a life of making money and I think it's wonderful that you now have time to give back a little and share extra love with the people around you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years ago, I stepped away when I just wasn't able to balance (in my case mom's health issues) and school. I stayed away from all things school for one year to regroup, last school year I went back to sub, and help out. This year doing the same, not full time, but where I am needed. I love School but at this juncture in my life can't do it full time.....You take me out of the school, but not the school out of me....Enjoy this time .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you and your new roles! I resigned five years ago, and even though I miss the classroom and teaching so much, I LOVE being with my kiddos so much more! I know I'll be back in the classroom soon enough, so I feel blessed to enjoy this time focusing on my family now. Best of luck to you this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you! You are a great mom and I'd love to have you as a room mother in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see you enjoying your family. As a single mom, I don't have the ability to step aside...however, as a single mom to an almost twelve year old, I'm sure she wouldn't want me around that much. Enjoy this time, they grow up TOO fast. Continue to be your creative self. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations sweet friend! I am so happy you're able to stay at home! Good luck with all your new ventures! ❤️ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you! Hope you enjoy staying home! I also stay home with my little boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes you just know when you need to make the shift and that's ok too! I loved reading this post. It sounds like you made the right choice for you and your family! I can't wait to see where this journey takes you.

    Jamie
    Teaching Tidbits and More with Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m glad that you just shared this content with us.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top