Sill Alive...*Making Ten ideas - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

Sill Alive...*Making Ten ideas

I promise I am still here... barely.

I joked last time I posted about trying to keep my ipad posts to once a week...I promise in my language it does not mean...never post again.

Like many of you all, my To- Do lists are a mile long...and keep getting longer. Not to kill you with metaphors, but I feel like I am constantly treading water. I promise you all that I am not a slacker...I work my tail off, but there is always something else that needs attention. 

Sorry- enough whining. I have been dying to post a few ideas about teaching addition with a sum of ten. This is one of my favorite math ideas to teach. One of the fourth grade teachers called them "pb & j" facts...the ones that always go together. I LOVE that idea! (I have got to find some clipart to go with that!).

I told my kids that the more facts that we have automatically, the easier all addition problems will be for us. We have informally been talking about doubles facts, but we will tackle those soon as well.

Here are a couple visuals that I saw on pinterest and really liked. Click on the pictures to go to the sources!

This rainbow one has been in my head for awhile and I love the visual.
 I love that it emphasizes the larger one addend is, the smaller the other one is.

So I made a really fast recording sheet for my kids to use, with a free image I found.

Nothing fancy, but I liked the math talk we had after we completed the activity.

Now for my favorite way to teach making ten.

We use the book Ten for Me. I found this book because it is from the publishing company that my sister works for, Sylvan Dell.
Please DO NOT skip on if you don't have this book, I highly suggest getting the ebook version from their website!
Last year I posted about using the book, but this year we went all out!

First we read the adorable book and took notes about all the addition facts we could create with a sum of ten.

Then we broke into our table groups of four. Two students worked with butterflies and jar that I had printed out, and two students wrote the addition fact and the turn-around fact that went with the visual their partners created.

If you are interested in any of these documents, CLICK HERE.
I used Scrappin' Doodles butterflies and a Fancy Dog Border!

After we spent a lot of time exploring, the next day we came back and created these adorable explorers to go with it!

First we did the math part :)

Then we made our own versions. 


Do I need to try and upload the template for the butterfly hunters??

Here is the final hallway display!

 I promise I will be back soon!!!!





your photo name

22 comments

  1. Yes, please. I read the book yesterday and my students loved it. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please. I read the book yesterday and my students loved it. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great! I bought the book after reading your previous post on the book and am ready to use it.
    A template would be fantastic.
    I love your all your posts especially the ones where you recommend various books. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the template of your butterfly hunter and jars - cute idea! :) Lisa quiltwoman0@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back!! Your butterfly hunters are stinkin' adorable!!! Such a fun way to practice math!

    <3 ya friend!


    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome skill ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing and I hope you will share the template too!
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to practice those math facts! LOVE!

    Gladys
    http://teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my I just love this! I am so doing this! Thanks for sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea and will be looking for the book. Thank you for sharing your ideas - It would be great if you could also share the butterfly hunter template.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love a template for the buttterfly hunter. She is so stinkin cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, please share the butterfly hunter template, I'd love to make this Monday! Here's my email if you don't get it posted. Thanks so much!!!
    mcarpenter@scsk12.org

    Thanks,
    Martha-Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! I love activities that hit the standards hard and are engaging for the kids. I'd love the template!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! Great ideas and fun ways to practice making 10. I would love the template!
    Stellaluna114@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is what we are working on. I just made a similar rainbow worksheet for my students to use. I love some of the other ideas you have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! The butterfly hunter is adorabale! I would love the template. I read the book to my class last week, and this would be a great follow-up and review!
    esassi@psdnet.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are just starting ways to make ten this week and I'm looking forward to reading the book you suggested. Do you have that super cute butterfly hunter template available?
    Kim
    kbrobinson320@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never find time to scan the "template" eek. What if I tell you it was literally four rectangles, a half circle, and then I drew a safari hat...does that help?

      Delete
  18. Did you ever post the template for the butterfly hunter? Am I missing it somewhere on this page? Excellent lesson plan! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. NCERT 10th Class Students go to Attendance Annual Final Examination , NCERT Class 10 Students Career Very Important , 9th Class Complete After Students Jump in 10th Class, High Schools Level Education NCERT 10th Class Solutions for English 2024 Complete in this Academic year 2024, NCERT 10th Class Students get your new NCERT Class 10 English Solutions 2024 for English, Hindi, Urdu Medium Pdf Format Chapter Wise Download our Website, Every Year NCERT Class 10 Exam Conducted in Every Year Month of April in Subject for, It So Happened.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top