Football Units Winners and Much More! - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

Football Units Winners and Much More!

Hi friends!
We just spent a week on weight.  We wanted to bump our current program's lessons up a notch so we used these cards from Everyday Math.  

I put my kids in groups of 3 and gave them each a set of cards and a box of base tens and ones. 

I told them that I wanted them to put the cards in order from the least amount of weight to the most.  I also wanted them to represent the number with base tens.  This way I was hitting one of our standards while we talked about weight!  I also loved the problem solving it took for my kids to figure this out.  I LOVE anything that involves my kids thinking.  They really enjoyed this activity and plan on doing more project-type activities soon!

We also tried out this SUPER fun activity to review verbs and adjectives.

It is called Spider Web and I read about it HERE!  Like many/all of you, I am trying to do it all.  Technology/Arts/Common Core.  This post has some great ideas for integrating Drama elements into your every day classroom!

So how my version of Spider Web worked:
Me:  Hi! My name is Mrs. King and I can "JUMP"
roll the yarn to another student and say "Bobby- what can you do?"
Bobby: My name is Bobby and I can "SPRINT"
and so on.
We unraveled the yarn by saying:
"Hi I am Mrs. King and I am "ARTISTIC!"

Talk about problem solving- unraveling this web was a little bit of a challenge, but we did it, and I know the next time will be even better!A little bit of public speaking with a parts of speech review and voila- my kids are wide awake and ready to go!

Just in case you are wondering....February Busy Teacher is ALMOST finished! 
<Do I dare say it will be posted tomorrow night???>

I wanted to thank my wonderful friends for helping me throw this giveaway! If you don't know them- a. you are missing out b. what are you waiting for????

  

So without further adieu, the winners of the following fantastic units:




 Be looking for an email ladies!

your photo name

7 comments

  1. Love you Katie King! Thanks for doing the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This lesson is coming up and it always makes us cringe. Love the idea of breaking them into groups. We'll be using this this week! Thanks for the fabulous tip!
    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love football season! :) So sad that it is ending...but...it lives on in CENTERS!!! :) Wooo! :)

    Loved your spider web activity! You are so brave! :) I have 10 boys...I can only imagine what our web would look like! LOLOL!!!

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute idea Katie with the weights. Love it!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey gorgeous - I shouted you out in my post today. :) Hoping you've entered my giveaway, too. :) Smiles - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top