Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets


Image Map

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Two Digit Addition with regrouping and Limited Time Freebie

So I have to admit that I was SUPER nervous about starting Two-Digit Addition with regrouping.  We tackled regular two-digit addition before Spring Break and the kids had no problem. 
 Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! 
We used a couple of activities from my Spring Packet for Math Work Stations. 

I had started regrouping in small group, but I just imagined that my lower kids would struggle with it. You would think after six years, I would learn to stop doubting them :)

To start with on Monday, we spent a lot of time with tens and ones. 
We played Race to 100 with tens and ones. We usually play the game with a Hundred's chart, but I wanted to reinforce the idea of exchanging ten ones for a ten.  The smarties were making connections to pennies and dimes as well! 

After the game we went on to some guided practice. We used this template (click to download) that I made really quickly to practice. There is also a exit slip on the first page of the document.

I printed a class set on colored paper and then put them in sheet protectors. We used Dry erase markers and socks for lots of practice!

Today- I felt much better about our regrouping abilities- so I let them go- just a little bit :).  We used cards from my math game Tennis Top-it.  Students used the template again for more independent practice!

I am putting this game on TPT for free until I go to bed tonight (and I am warning you I am super tired friends)- then I will charge just a very tiny fee for it after that! If you want to check out the whole set, it is available below.
I am very impressed with how we are tackling the hard task right now, but we will continue to drill this skill home through May 17th (I promise I am not counting).

Off to Church to be with my precious little four-year-old class!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the freebie! I love it!

    Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the game, my kids will love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the freebie! This will make a great review for my second graders.

    learningwithsusieq.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only started regrouping with my highest kids as well...I know I need to teach it to the others as well! Oh so little time! Thanks for the cute freebie! :)

    Tales of An Elementary Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I missed it! You go to bed really early for us west coast girls. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn, this email just came to me at 3:25 pm on Thursday! I tried to get it but there must be quite a delay in sending these to me. I'll hope for another one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the great freebie! I am going to be attacking this skill next week when we get back from Spring Break! I am a little comforted knowing that I know have some great resources to use!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking for something to help me with the two digit addition and subtraction. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, this has been GREAT! Love that it nearly matches with the Math In Focus curriculum. Any chance you've created a similar mat for subtraction? If so, I'd LOVE a copy please!
    Mikaela
    mmuntean@friendsbalt.org

    ReplyDelete