My Reading Block: What they are doing? - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

My Reading Block: What they are doing?

I came from a school in Kentucky that very proudly taught Readers and Writers Workshop.  I had mentors that guided me through the basics and encouraged professional reading of books like my all time favorite Debbie Miller's Reading with Meaning. As Daily 5 took the blogging world by storm, I started to become intrigued.  I have read a lot about it and incorporated what works for me.  Out of all of that, this is a look at what goes on in the hour and forty minutes of my Reading Block. 
I meet with my kids for 20-30 minutes whole group. I typically focus on 1-2 books the whole week.  During the time we hit comprehension strategies, literary elements, and vocabulary.  My students will follow up with some kind of writing, but during my whole group time they are all gathered at the carpet listening, interacting, and thinking!  I will come back to this part of my day a little more in a later post, but for now I want to focus on what my kids are doing when they are independent during Readers Workshop.

After we meet my students are given three "Must Do's."  Must-Dos usually include comprehension activity, fluency, and word work.  After they have completed the three activities, then they are free to make Daily 5 choices.  Here are some samples from one of my student's Reading Response Notebooks.  Please excuse the poor lighting!!!

Summary:

 Vocabulary:



 Reading Passage from 24/7: 

Fluency Work from Second Story Window


More Working with words from my Santa's Surprises Pack

 Someone snuck in the picture :)




These drawers have made a HUGE difference for my management wise.  I fill all eight of these drawers up and students can make the choice to go to them after their Must Do's are done. My kids love them, and they are always in use!

Click on the picture to snag this freebie: 

Here are some of my kids when they have finished their mandatory work!  I LOVE how well my kids get along this year!




I will be back soon to talk about "What I am doing?" when these kiddos are working so hard!

your photo name

14 comments

  1. I am a first grade teacher and I used to have enough support so that each reading group got to work with a teacher for 45 minutes (6 kids to each teacher). I no longer have that support so I have my class do daily 5 while I pull 2 groups a day out of 5 groups. I feel like I'm not challenging them enough with daily 5 and I'm not able to do enough with each group. I like your ideas! Can it work in first grade? Where do you store their must dos and if you differentiate the must dos, how do you organize that? What if they don't fish their must dos in time? How long is your reading workshop? Does this require a lot of prep? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not open the Word Work Label freebie. Can you please post again? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use those drawers to house my word work and spelling choices also. I love them! Everything stays so neat and kids can grab and go work! Thanks for the labels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish my second grader could be in YOUR class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if you have blogged on this topic again? You had mentioned filling us in on what you are doing while your students are at their daily 5 choices. Just wondering if I missed it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will likewise need to remember that the more moneylenders you apply for an advance with, the more will be accounted for to the credit organizations. Your score may start to drop somewhat, so don't hold up too long to acknowledge a credit. On the off chance that you keep your application and acknowledgment time inside a two-week range, you will probably be "evaluated" on the higher FICO assessment you had when you begun looking. cash advance chicago

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is anything but difficult to get new auto credits once all the vital printed material has been finished. When endorsement has been gotten, and you drive your new auto off the parcel, it is vital that you pay your premiums on timetable until you are finished. At that point and at exactly that point, will you totally own the vehicle. cash advance

    ReplyDelete
  8. ما امروز قصد داریم یکی از این نژادهای سگ به نام سگ روتوایلر را به شما معرفی کنیم. در گذشته این سگ جهت حراست برخلاف گفته عموم، روتوایلر سگی شرور مباره میان سگ پیتبول و سگ روتوایلر دارد، تماشا کنید: این گربه ها به صلح گربه های خیابانی مطلب نژادهای گربه در مورد گربه های خیابانی بیشتر زیباترین پامرانین ها بعنوان حیوانات خانگی باشند. اگر شما هم از علاقه مندان به سگ پامرانین هستید، مقاله امروز دکتر پت را تا پایان دنبال کنید. بخش از حقوق حیوانات قصد داریم از نگهداری حیوانات خانگی بیان کنیم. توجه سگ اشپیتز یکی از معروف ترین مورد دانستنی های مهم در مورد سگ چاو چاو بیشتر صحبت خواهیم کرد. رژیم غذایی كم قیمت برای سگ ها تغذیه حیوانات در مورد بیشتر صحبت خواهیم کرد. پیتبول عملکرد قبل از رونق محبوبیت که دوبرمن رنج می کشد

    ReplyDelete
  9. مثلاً در زمان هایی که سگ شما با مشکلاتی مواجه می شود که حس می کنید نیاز به بازدید از دامپزشک دارد می توانید با یک پیام بسیار ساده از جدی بودن و یا راه حل های پیشنهادی دکتر مطلع شوید و بدون مراجعه به دکتر دامپزشک ان مشکل را برطرف کنید.
    شناخت بیشتر از نژاد روتوایلر آلمانی:
    سگ روتوایلر با ظاهر بسیار خشنی که دارد به عنوان یکی از برترین نژاد های سگ نگهبان شناخته می شود و به دلیل جثه و توان بدنی بالایی که دارد می تواند هر سارقی را زمین گیر کند. این نژاد در مقابل ظاهر بسیار زیبا و ترسناکی که دارد یک سگ بسیار دوست داشتنی و مهربان است. نژاد روتوایلر با کودکان بسیار مهربان است و حواسش به آنها است تا مشکلی برایشان پیش نیاید. به صاحب خود به شدت وفادار است و سگ بسیار خونسرد و آرامی است. اما موضوع اصلی برای زمانی است که سگ شما با یک فرد ناشناس رو برو می شود و احساس خطر برای صاحبش میکند، در این زمان ممکن است که به شدت خشن و پرخاشگر شود و زمانی که شما به او اجازه بدهید با حمله ای بسیار خشن فرد روبروی شما را زمین گیر کند.

    ReplyDelete
  10. خیلی از ما دوست داریم یه حیوان خانگی رو در کنار خودمون داشته باشیم و احتمالا از بین همه حیوانات خانگی نظرمون بیشتر روی سگ هست. یکی از مشکلاتی که همیشه باعث تردید ما درباره خرید سگ شده، عدم شناخته کافی ما از نژاد سگ ها هست. سگ ها نژادهای خیلی زیادی دارن که هر کدوم از این نژادها متعلق به یک منطقه جغرافیایی خاص هستن که دقیقا همین موضوع باعث تفاوت اونها در ظاهر، جثه و هیکل، خصوصیات اخلاقی، نوع غذا و... میشه.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a nice blog...very informative i must say...everyone should read this blog once.for more such type of informative blogs visit website which I usually follow...try once guys

    Runtastic Steps

    ReplyDelete
  12. واکسیناسیون سگ از اقدمات ضروری دامپزشک برای سلامتی گربه است
    https://petabad.com/shop/veterinary-hospitals/P3964-Initial-examination-of-the-dog-with-complete-vaccination.html

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top