TONS of Subtraction Ideas! - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

TONS of Subtraction Ideas!

I promise I am here and kicking.  Or rather that parent conference week is kicking my tail :)

We have had some great things going on in my room. I have blown away by my kids and their understanding of subtraction.   I wanted to share some resources that have been extremely helpful in addition to our math program.

Do you know a child that doesn't like pirates? That is what I thought- me neither!  We have listened to this song every single day since we started subtraction. We have the honor of doing math at the verrrrrrry end of the day....I can feel your sympathy through my screen. I dance on my head on a daily basis to get my students interested and engaged in math...this song helps  (Not my idea- I stole it from soo smart Deanne)

If you are lucky enough to have ipads, you NEED this magnetic letters/numbers app.


Don't be fooled by the doe-eyed unicorn. I was.  This app rocks. I attribute my students' success to story problems this year to this app.  We use the adorable animals to create story problems and then use the magnetic numbers AND symbols to demonstrate the subtraction sentences. 

Just like many of you all I am sure, I believe in attacking math concepts from all angles. Our students don't learn in the same ways, so we can't teach in only the way the program suggests. Our program does not rely on number lines at all- so we supplement. 
We have used this incredible little packet of number line subtraction problems from Vicky Plant!

I also put together this little spinner mat to use with my students to get ready for our test on Thursday. 

If you would like this freebie, you can grab it in my TPT store :)

While you are there, I created this packet of Halloween themed handouts to help me survive that week of parent conferences! Enjoy friends!








your photo name

8 comments

  1. What a great looking Halloween pack! I have it in my cart, hopefully this weekend. My kiddos would love it during Halloween week and so would I:)

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids LOVE that youtube video too- but I wish I could get that app! I have been begging for an ipad in my classroom for months, so hopefully I'll remember this post when my wish finally comes true.

    I'm having a Halloween Linky Party and would love for you to join!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out Katie!! My kiddos love this song!! :)

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the event that you are prepared to be a business person, evaluate the amount of money you have to cover costs until the business starts to make a benefit. I will give you only five thoughts that will give you capital sufficiently only to set up the business, put resources into some stock and make some publicizing materials. check cashing

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been able to substantiate every possible stance as mentioned here and surely there would be better prospects to be seen in this regard. hunter college admission requirements

    ReplyDelete
  6. Careful exploration work is expected to locate a sensible moneylender which offers great terms and conditions. You can seek locally or utilize the web which is simple and spreads a more extensive geology. Truly the best approach to begin a hunt today is on the web. Cash Advance

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bicycle had been smashed: the leg shield bowed on one side, floorboard strips were missing, one a player in a symbol gone, the seat whipped, and bunches of scratches; however the last affront was the six .38 bore projectile openings scattered over the back motor side. Barnaby took the bicycle to First Kick Scooters, where another gas tank was fitted to supplant the punctured one. cash advance

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are numerous sorts that are accessible today. The sort is something that the lessor is most worried of in light of the fact that it offers a considerable measure of danger included. The way of this kind of vehicle is to be out and about for a long time. check cashing

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top