Non-fiction Writing and More! - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

Non-fiction Writing and More!

This week has been jam-packed with Non-Fiction texts in reading and writing.
Like many of you, we struggle to fit in Science unless we completely integrate it.  So that is what we do!
I have two fantastic resources from my friends Susan and Holly.  They take you step by step through the writing process with your kids.  I am a firm believer in Writer's Workshop, and these two resources are a perfect fit for the way I teach writing.



In small group, my students have been focusing on their fluency.  I am so happy to see how much growth they have made in all areas of the reading!  I have this great app called the Running Record app- where I record my students reading a portion of their texts. I can discreetly tap the screen when they have errors, so when I replay the recording I know exactly where they messed up, and I can analyze what led to the miscue. I also ADORE the idea of letting my kids listen to themselves read, and get this- I can email the recording to my reading coaches, principal, or their parents! 

What else have I been up to since I have been such a stinky blogger? Well let me show you!

My husband has been working like a dog to update our house! I have a new master bath!
I also have a dining room after almost 3 years in this house! I LOVE it.  We had our first dinner in there last night, and it was so special!  

I have also been cherishing my time with these two.  I mean look how grown-up Nash is!
AND, my little princess turns 4 tomorrow.  I can't quite wrap my brain around it!

And last but not least, I am super stoked to know that my homework and no prep centers are ready for the month! Man, does that feel good!  

I see some reality tv and some cutting in my future tonight!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday sweet friends!

your photo name

4 comments

  1. I can't wait to check out the app for running records! How cool :) Congrats on the home improvements. The rooms look great!
    ~Christy
    Mrs. Holder’s First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it - thanks so much for the shout out and I'm so glad you found it useful!

    xoxo

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that app is awesome! Wish I had an iPad in the classroom to use it with!

    --Caitlin
    thekindergarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the app downloaded on my iPad but need to use it more! I keep going back to my pensieve!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top