Classroom Library and new fantastic blog! - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

Classroom Library and new fantastic blog!

Will you make fun of me if I tell you I am super proud of myself for my new classroom creation?! My number one priority when I became a teacher was to have my students fall in LOVE with reading. I think that having a space conducive to losing yourself in a book is essential for this to happen. I have tried all kinds of different ways to have a library in my classroom but have never found the space that worked. Sadly I resorted to lining my bookcases up against the hideous orange curtain and kind of forgetting about it.

So take a little journey with me through the creation of the library...

I started with this...

...okay --not exactly that love seat, I found this one through a google search, but you get the picture-- four cans of black spray paint, and a very talented younger cousin named Lindsey who can sew! What do you get when you put all of that together--


Meet my baby! I have already planned team meetings that are going to take place with me snuggled up in this adorable space!! That same adorable cousin Lindsey sewed these little gems (also known as curtains)-- she even texted me and asked if she could add a little flair at the bottom of them in the form of some zebra print ribbon---does she know me or what??


It was really hard to get a picture of the curtains with the sun coming through, but you also see my Dollar Tree find lamp! Yes I know I could close them--- but if you knew how long it took me to rig them up just right... you wouldn't be telling yourself that :)

You won't believe it, but I have another adorable cousin named Courtney who painted these great READ letters!


I had painted my shelves last summer (along with all my lockers and another shelf) and they were the inspiration for the whole library. I made new book bin labels to match the color scheme. I keep my leveled books in a separate shelf near my guided reading table for easier access.


Sorry for the bad pics, the sun is setting right in the way ;) And last but not least--- the tissue paper pom poms-- I am so proud of these too! I watched a youtube video on how to make those and only failed on one attempt! They are my favorite part of the library!


Here is the best picture of the whole thing! So sorry about the light-- I didn't realize how bad it was until I got home.


I would love to see the spaces that make you beam--so leave me a link! On another note- check out newbie Christie at First Grade Fever! Adorable Christie is promising to send you CUSTOMIZED jungle classroom goodies if you signup for her giveaway! I already received mine and they are perfect! So hop on over... First Grade Fever!

Have a fantastic Monday!
Katie

your photo name

21 comments

  1. WOW!!! Seriously GORGEOUS!!!

    =)Beth
    http://inspiredwritingteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made a tissue paper pom pom!! I used the Martha Stewart directions and was a little sad when they didn't look exactly perfect but mine look like yours so I am happy now! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FAB-YOU-LESS!!!!!!!!! I love that color scheme! They had that at Home Depot last summer I think!


    Love it!!!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just gorgeous, Katie! What a wonderful space you've created! You've inspired me!

    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm inspired! Your library is beautiful and your kids and going to LOVE cozy-ing up with a great book. I am doing a jungle theme, too, and cannot wait to get started. (I cannot get into my room until the 8th. YIKES!) Thanks for sharing!
    mrsmaysplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be possible to get the link to where you made those tissue paper pom poms?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOECo-Ky-w

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful. I am sure your students will be so excited to use this special space to READ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of the pictures! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your library is gorgeous! :) You found that lamp at the Dollar Tree?!

    Follow Me:
    Http://brittney-teachpraylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. FABULOUS!!!! And thank you for entering my giveaway!
    Kristin
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! This is so stinkin' cute Katie! I LoVe it!!! I'm gonna get started on mine today! Love sharing our jungle ideas-thanks so much for the nice comment in your post!
    Christie :)
    First Grade Fever

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in love with this and sooo jealous. Don't have time to try something like this for this upcoming school year. But maybe next year when I'm back in first grade. One of my biggest goals has always been to make kids fall in love with reading too. Thanks for sharing.

    http://mskerriandherkrazykindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great. You're so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It's like HGTV and Extreme Makeover all in one! That looks fabulous!

    Kim from: http://starbucksstandardssharpies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I know this is an old post, but I just found it through pinterest! I love, love, LOVE your adorable classroom library!!! And your "loveseat" is amazing!!! I have been wanting a bench or something like this for my classroom for so long!! Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out for something at garage sales! I am now following your blog!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your room….how did you make the black and white pendant ??I'm doing a zebra theme..and would love to make them…
    thanks…
    robin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your creativity..I have a zebra theme going on this year…and would love the banner…how did you create it?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even quite better prospects that will help students to initiate better proceedings, furthermore, we would also be able to regard about every possible factor in this regard. accounting homework help online

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top