*Math Relay Race Freebie* - Queen of the First Grade Jungle

*Math Relay Race Freebie*

I tried to give some seat work on the 2nd to last day and my kids looked at me like I had 4 heads.  I knew I had to have SOMETHING to keep them engaged and busy for our last day- mainly so I didn't keep checking my watch every ten minutes :)

So I came up with this (CLICK TO DOWNLOAD:
Before school I made 3 copies of the cards, cut them, and put them in 3 different bags. I had a mom and an instructional assistant to help me monitor 3 groups of 8 students. I armed each child with a piece of chalk and we headed outside.  It was so neat to see them excited to do the skills that we had worked so hard on ALL year- just in a fun way.

One slip called for an even number of kids to go down the slide.  Another called for an odd number of monkeys to swing on the monkey bars :)
 The sidewalk chalk was a PERFECT way to show their learning.  I sneaked a peek a few times to alternate chalk work with active work-like walking backwards as they counted backwards from 30 to 0 or skip counting by 5 as they sprinted to the fence and back! We even showed off our 2 digit addition with regrouping on the sidewalks so the big kids could see how smart we are in first grade!

We had a BLAST and walked away from the activity with only 2 minor injuries :) First grade is tough stuff.

When my kids left at the end of the day, I only shed a couple of tears, but I am sure it will hit me in a few days.  These kids spoiled me rotten, and I am SO sad to see them go.  I have never felt more confident about my kids being ready for the next grade, and I hope the 2nd grade teachers see what I have seen this year!

your photo name

16 comments

  1. The math relay looks like something we need to do next week. Thank you for the idea and sharing what you made!
    --Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, thanks for sharing !!! Enjoy, enjoy (how can you be done, I teach until June 28th....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! LOVE it! We get out on Wednesday, and I'm in desperate need of a hands on/fun activity!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it! Can't wait to use it during my last week of Math group.. (in 2 weeks..)

    Angie
    Rulin' the Roost

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great game to get kids moving and learning!! Thanks for sharing.
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids are going to love this!!! Thank you so much for the great idea. What a perfect way to end the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids are going to love this!!! Thank you so much for the great idea. What a perfect way to end the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our school's activity day is getting cut short because of construction so my co-worker and I were trying to find ways to "extend" the fun! This looks perfect!! Thanks! :)

    The First Grade Splash

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing. The kids are all wiggles this time of year-why not have that energy go do math outside.

    I have placed a link from my blog to yours.
    Guidedmathstudygroup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! My wiggly worms are totally going to need this. Thanks!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, my kids will LOVE this....they certainly have lots of energy to burn off :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely perfect...Thank you! Can't wait now for the rain to stop so we can head out and do this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't get this to download (the words). Do you know why? I would love to have my 4th graders do this with their 1st grade buddies this week. If you could email it to me i would appreciate it.
    alannacomer@gmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. We used your awesome freebie set and play math rely at the end of last year!! Students loved it! Thinking about trying it again at the beginning of this year for community building!! Awesome idea! thank you!!

    -Caitlin
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top