Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets


Image Map

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

*WOAH* Dr. Seuss Ideas and a DAY full of Lorax

I finally carved out some time to put all my Dr. Seuss happenings in one blog post. 

These days that is HARD folks....I am currently writing this in the 5 minutes before I head to the gym then run my kids across town to soccer practice followed by dinner.bath.books.bedtime. HOLY COW. I am tired just thinking about what all has to happen before 7:45 p.m. I know y'all feel this way too!

<Update- this obviously did not get published before ALL of that, but no fear- kids are in bed and my allergy medicine hasn't kicked in so I am with you for about 10 more minutes- HA!>

For Dr. Seuss' bday, Emmie was prepared (before you even ask, it's a Lolly Wolly dress...we are kind of obsessed)!!!


When my students showed up on Monday, we had tons of Dr. Seuss books to choose from for their independent reading time. 


On Monday we had gobs of reading time (even parents game in to guest read) and snacks to match!


 On Tuesday we dove into Seuss' "meatier" books!  My all time favorite book is the Lorax.  We found ways to involve the Lorax in all our subject areas. 

In math we measured and created truffala trees. We then wrote about how to figure out how much taller one is than the other. 

 This was one of those ideas that I thought of RIGHT before I did it.
Isn't that how the best ideas come to you?!?!


In Science we made Truffala trees out of clay and talked about physical changes (we are studying matter). 

In writing we adopted the voice of the Lorax ourselves and wrote for an animal or part of nature that we feel the need to protect.  Of course since my students' teacher is obsessed with watercolors, we painted the object of our affection!

This little girl spoke for the manatees!


Here are all of our projects on display:

On Wednesday we moved on to another Seuss favorite of mine- Horton Hatches an Egg!

With this book my students wrote about some of the difficult vocabulary in the book (without me telling them what the words meant).  We have been working on using context clues to help us figure out how to do this.

 Oh yeah, and we ate a snack.  Or the kids did- Mrs. King is on a diet going through a lifestyle change. 

Friday was another favorite.

I mean really, how many favorites can one teacher have?!?!

But in all seriousness, this page has to be the page that SPEAKS to us teachers.


I truly, truly feel that my students are going to be awesome citizens one day, and it is my job to make sure they see their own potential.

I have seen a few variations of this craft around the internet.  If you know where this originally came from, please let me know so I can give credit! 

I had my students write about their long term goals in life.  I also took their pictures acting as if they were in hot air balloons. I think the rest is pretty self explanatory, but if you have questions, please ask in the comments!

I forgot to take a picture once they were all hanging, but I will make sure to share as soon as I do!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've had a great week!!...Emmie's outfit is the cutest!!
    Mrs.Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE Lolly Wolly...my daughter's Easter outfit is from them!!! Too cute

    ReplyDelete